In 2007, Ghana discovered oil and gas in commercial quantities at the Cape Three Points and Ivory Coast claimed ownership of a portion of West Cape Three Points.
In 2010, the Ivorian government petitioned the United Nations asking for a completion of the demarcation of its maritime boundary with Ghana and in March of the same year, the Ghanaian authorities responded with the setting up of the Ghana Boundary Commission (GBC) tasked with the responsibility of negotiating with Côte d’Ivoire towards finding a lasting solution to the problem.
This didn’t yield any result and so in 2014, Ghana dragged Cote d’Ivoire to the ITLOS, the judiciary arm of the United Nations (UN) Convention on the Law of the Sea, over claims by Ivory Coast that parts of the oil and gas-rich Cape Three Points, off the shores of the Western Region, belonged to it.
Ghana took the landmark decision to head to the Tribunal after it had failed to resolve the matter through diplomatic discussions with its French-speaking neighbour.
Finally, on today, 23rd September 2017, judgement has been given and Ghana has won the case.
This is good news for Ghana and Ghanaians just couldn’t hide their excitement.
Here’s how they reacted on Twitter.
1. Selorm seems to heave a sigh of relief.
2. Adokwei thinks they should go and protect Mapouka, that’s what’s theirs.
3. Misplaced priorities.
4. It is a technical knockout guys!!!
5. See we, see wahala.
7. This is the best way he could celebrate his joy.
8. Ibi the money dey hia am, resources dem go chop?
9. This one too ibi world cup?
10. There wouldn’t be any appeal.
11. Was it that easy? It took 7 years to conclude oh!
12. This is the best way he could describe it.
13. If Ghanaians get you eh!
14. It is a done deal.
15. We finish them.
16. This one too “one corner” come inside?
17. Obviously, he can’t just keep calm.
18. Lol!!! Nawaa oh!!
19. Yesooo!! Sister.
20. Simple as that,
22. The David who brought down Goliath.
23. I second, we should charge them for damages.
24. Feminists, you see this one?